The University of Alberta, along with some other Canadian universities, does not offer the MD program to international students. The Medical Doctor program at the university is a quota program and there are enough Canadian and permanent residents to fill that quota.
But, as nice as an MD designation might be, there are so many other options to consider studying when exploring what medical options there are to study in Canada.
For example, at the University of Alberta, you will want to consider the following:
- Biomedical Engineering – This is a program offered jointly between the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and the Faculty of Engineering. There is a promising future in Biomedical Engineering.
- Medical Laboratory Sciences – Offered through the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, this four year bachelor’s degree is often used as the pre-med degree for the MD program. Medical laboratory scientists are in high demand in Canada in hospitals, clinics, research labs, etc.
- Biomedical Sciences – Offered through the Faculty of Science, it is often used as the prerequisite bachelor’s degree to an MD program. A degree in biomedical sciences can also lead to graduate studies in any number of Faculty of Medicine departments; such as Genetics, Oncology, etc.
- Nanotechnology – This is the up-and-coming technology of the future and is used in computing, medicine, engineering and many more disciplines. The University of Alberta houses the National Institute of Nanotechnology where research includes the medical field. You will not want to sit out on this today’s technology.
- Pharmacy – Pharmacists in Canada are in big demand and receive a handsome salary. But Pharmacy goes beyond the drug store and reaches into research and development of new and improved drugs for curing all kinds of diseases.
- Nursing – Canada needs RN’s who want to pursue a very rewarding career in this much needed medical profession.
- Radiation Therapy – By taking a bachelor’s degree in Radiation Therapy in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, you will be providing a very necessary treatment to cancer patients.
- Medical Research at the Graduate Level – Take your bachelor’s degree either in Pakistan or Canada, get a GPA of 3.5 or more and apply for a Master’s degree in one of the many departments in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry. Graduate Admissions Committees do prefer students who have studied at in Canada at the undergraduate level.
Broaden your scope to discover all that awaits you in the field of medicine. Don’t limit yourself, but imagine what you would like to do in this field and it may well await you at the University of Alberta.