Can I Study Power Engineering Technology in Canada?

Canada’s institutions offer some excellent Power Engineering programs.  To hold the title of a Power Engineer sounds impressive and it is for study programs in this field prepare students to work in a prestigious and well-paying job.

What is Power Engineering? – A power engineer is someone who works in an industry such as industrial power plants, chemical plants or commercial buildings and etc.; operating and maintaining energy components.  They may work with boilers turbines, steam condensers and other technically advanced machinery.  Power engineering is a highly advanced discipline where graduates work in a diversity of industries.

Where can I study?  You can study power engineering technology at a number of polytechnic colleges in Canada, but you will want to consider one of these public institutions.  For those wanting to get a student visa or remain in Canada, studying at a public institution is best.

• Georgian College– Located close to Toronto, Canada, Georgian College is the largest co-op (work experience) college in Canada and offers 2 power engineering programs:
    • Power Engineering Technology – Graduates receive a 3 year advanced diploma with Province of Ontario certification. The program includes 2 work terms that gives you practical experience and exposes you to prospective employers.
    • Power Engineering Technician – This is a 2 year diploma with Ontario certification.  The program includes one work term.
    • NAIT – one of the best poly-technology institutions in Canada it offers a 2 year diploma in Power Engineering Technology.  NAIT is located in Alberta, an energy and industry rich province so work is easy to find.
    • SAIT – NAIT’s sister institution; also located in the province of Alberta, offers a similar 2 year Power Engineering diploma.  As in the other listed colleges you will receive practical on-hands training in well equipped labs.
    • BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) – Located in beautifully scenic British Columbia, this college offers two programs one general and one advanced.

Work in Canada and Globally – finding work in Canada or globally for those who hold Power Engineering certification is not difficult.  Power Engineers are equipped to work in a diversity of fields and with a diversity of equipment; therefore they are in high-demand.  For example, they can find jobs in the petrochemical industry, hospitals, energy power plants and etc.

Salary – If you end up working in Canada, you can get a handsome salary.  The technical schools advertise that a Power Engineer upon graduation has a 94% chance of being hired and can make about $84,000 per year.  When you land your first job, you may work for  somewhat less, but the salary quoted is averaged.

So consider studying Power Engineering Technology in Canada; the rewards of studying in this dynamic and interesting field is well worth the hard work and expense of studying in Canada.  If you would like to find out more about Power Engineering Technology in Canada then contact your Canadian Representative in Pakistan at Alberta Rose Education Centre for more details and to avail their services.

18 thoughts on “Can I Study Power Engineering Technology in Canada?

1. amrutbhai

Dear Sir, I am Be Power electronics engineers in GUJARAT TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY, ,AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT, INDIA . I am interested in power engineering technician pogram- course two year 2014 JANUARY intek Institute like NAIT , SAIT, GEAORGIAN COLLEGE. is possible to admission without Ielts ? OR JAUARY 2014 intek in power engoneering technician nait, sait, georgian college is possible?

1. Helen Khan Post author

All three institutions, SAIT, NAIT and Georgian are reputable institutions with good programs that prepare students for the work force. But whatever institution you attend, you will need some English Language Proficiency test to determine your English proficiency level. IELTS is the most popular also some students will do TOEFL instead.

These programs are in great demand so it is ‘the early bird gets the worm’. The schools get far more applications than they have room for. I know that NAIT is not taking new applicants until September 2014, so please check with the institution first to see when the next available start date is.

2. jatinder

what is the waiting time for power and processing enginerig in bcit,
    is there any other institute in bc near vancouver from where i can do power enginering diploma/degree

1. Helen Khan Post author

Power Engineering programs throughout the country are now full and any one who applies is put on a waiting list. Therefore, you should apply for September 2015, and make sure you apply early (as soon as that session’s application portals open, which is often sometimes around October of the previous year).

There are a number of institutions that offer Power Engineering but BCIT is probably the only one near Vancouver. Northern Lights in Dawson Creek, BC also offers it, but it is a long way from Vancouver.

3. rajat

Dear Sir, I am done B.TECH in computer science engineers in kurukshetra university, jagadhri, INDIA . I am interested in power engineering technician pogram- course two year 2015 JANUARY intek Institute like NAIT , SAIT, Alberta is possible to admission ? OR which college is better nait, sait,? Or any other university in Alberta that can provide same courses?

4. Amir

Hello dear Sir/Madam,
    I am an Iranian civil engineer with near 11 years of experience in civil works (dam, tunnel, road and building). I graduated from Shiraz University in Iran in master of civil engineering – hydraulic structure in the year 2002.I want to apply for M.Eng. (As a second master) in your department. I have IELTS Academic module overall 6.5.
    My cumulative grade point average in bachelor is 13.22 (final 2 years GPA is 13.24 on average) and in master is 15.25(the last year is 16.92).
    I have a question. I know the minimum requirement for GPA but since I am a master of civil engineering and have a great civil engineering experiences, Can I apply (conditionally) for a second master ?

1. Helen Khan Post author

I am not familiar with Iran’s marking system, therefore you are best to contact the department where you are interested in studying. The graduate coordinators or advisors should be able to guide you as they will be familiar with many international education systems.

2. Helen Khan Post author

There are ways to take a second masters but it should be sort of related to your fist master’s degree. For example, you might want to consider a Master’s in Engineering Management – some of the programs require work experience to be eligible. If you can afford, you might also want to consider a MBA/Eng combined degree. So take a look at different Canadian universities and then make a decision based on what you find.

5. sourin patel

I’m sourin Patel from India, a graduated mechanical engineer. Now I want to study power engineering in Canada.for that o narrow my choice to two institutes (Georgian and nait)..i want to know nait application takes how much time to get process.??

6. Kaumil

Sir
    I am doing bachelor of engineering in Chemical engineering.I want to go for power engineering program in Canada.Is it better option for chemical engineer or I have to go for my core field??

1. Helen Khan Post author

It is difficult to move from Chemical to Power Engineering for a higher degree. If you are in Chemical Engineering you should consider further education in a similar field.

7. anil

I have done my btech. in power engineering and the courses covered mainly about power plant and its operation. I would like to pursue my masters in power engineering at Canada. Can you suggest any best universities where I can pursue my masters and also tell me the necessary exams to get into the university?

8. MJ.Kim

Dear sir.
    I graduated marine engineering in korea MMU
    (Mokpo Maritime University) and now i am working in merchantdise ship as a second engineer who maintain boiler steam system, disel generator maintainance .,etc.
    I wanna be a power engineer in Canada but
    I was born in 1991.
    Am i too old to start studying power engineering?
    Is georgian college (owen sound) good to study power engineering?
    I want to listen your opinoin about Georgian College !

Best regards.